20120528

Major Love for the Minor Leagues

So, I was tempted to contribute to the Titanic-like panic that has taken hold of the worst of the Cardinals' fans, but I decided to stand firmly with my non-idiot brethren (the majority of Cardinal nation), and understand that baseball is a game of numbers, and mostly averages, so this being a 162-game season means that we're probably just fine.

It has been interesting to see a very solid pitching staff just suddenly start shitting the bed, though.

And please stop talking about trading for Papi. We don't need another bat, especially one that so blatantly sucks the life out of a clubhouse.

This is going to be a brief one today, folks, as it's Memorial Day and I plan to hit a local hibachi as soon as possible.

The trophy wife and I have been traveling a lot lately, and I suggested that we plan a trip to Memphis, as I've never been to a Memphis Redbirds game, and would love to go some time.

That led me to another realization, which is that I've never been to a River City Rascals game, nor a Gateway Grizzles game, and that my fondness for minor league baseball has gone vastly underfed.

As a kid, I used to go to Tulsa Drillers and El Paso Diablos with some frequency, and absolutely loved it. There's something about minor league ball that's so wonderfully relaxing and engaging. I think it's the focus on fundamentals and the chance to get to see players develop. It's also refreshing to see dudes playing the game because they love it, and damn it, they're gonna give it their all for the chance to make it to the Show.

I hereby vow, this summer, to see the Memphis Redbirds, the River City Rascals, the Gateway Grizzlies, and at least one other minor league team this summer!

What about you? You dig the small ball?

-Blaine
Buy my book!

No comments:

Post a Comment