20120813

(gasp)

Today's weigh-in: 272.6 (down a lot, maybe 33 pounds?)

Disclaimer: I'm not a medical professional or any kind of weight-loss, diet, or exercise expert. I'm simply succeeding at losing weight.

I haven't posted here in a long time. I've been hyper-focused on some things, which is good and bad, but something I realized is that blogging is good for me. There's healing in the sharing or some such bullshit, and maybe I can help some poor fatso inch closer to feeling human again.

So, yeah, the weight loss has been proceeding, and while the slope of the line hasn't been totally consistent, the average is there, as evidenced by my above number.

I've been surprised at times, honestly, that I've been able to stick with this. On the rare occasion that I cast a glance at the past, I see a bloody trail of half-assed starts to various initiatives, with only the occasional monument to a completed effort.

This isn't to say that I've been perfect, or even totally satisfied with my progress. I've had at least three occasions in which I've knowingly sabotaged myself, as well as a handful of times in which I accidentally made a bad decision, but in each case, I was able to immediately bounce back, get back on track, and not use that idiotic 'I'll get back to it on Monday' bullshit thought process.

Also, every time I haven't had satisfactory results, I've been able to pull up my numbers on MyFitnessPal and point out where I went wrong. I then adjust, and move forward.

I'm at the point now in which many people are actually noticing my weight loss, and that's a little awkward for me, especially since I can't see a difference. However, it is positive reinforcement, and I'm glad for that.

A lot of people have asked what I've been doing to become less disgustingly obese, so I'll reiterate it here, in easy-to-read bulletpoint form:

  • MOST IMPORTANT: I track all of the food I take in
  • 2nd MOST IMPORTANT: I hit 10,000 steps per day
  • I eat less overall
  • I have cranked my protein consumption way up
  • I have reduced my carbs and sugar
  • I don't eat like shit
  • I constantly adjust my diet and exercise to more precisely fit my weight-loss goal

It's real simple. Protein builds muscle mass. Building muscle raises your metabolism. An increased metabolism burns fat faster.

Your body always burns carbs and sugars first. So, if you have a bagel for breakfast, then a sandwich for lunch, then pizza for dinner, and work out for a couple hours, congrats, moron, you're still fat.

However, if you have a protein shake for breakfast, then turkey and cheese (no bread, real cheese) for lunch, then a protein bar for a snack, then a bunch of chicken for breakfast, and then run/walk about three miles in less than an hour, congrats, you're now less disgustingly obese.

Some people like to go the zero carb route, and I understand that thought process, but I don't believe in extremes. I've reduced my carbs and sugars without reaching zero, and it's been working.

Avoiding extremes is, I believe, I a key part of refining one's body. I think a lot of people fail because they throw themselves into an extreme in terms of diet or exercise (or both), burn out in a short time, and then wallow on their couch with a whole pizza or a tub of ice cream, hating themselves for fully transforming into the failure they've always suspected they are. Don't be that person. Use your brain. You don't need to run a six-minute mile every day while surviving off celery sticks. Just get off your ass and walk while rethinking your diet. Start there, then refine as you go.

I'm still refining what I'm doing. My approach isn't static, it's dynamic. I pay very, very close attention to how my body responds to different food strategies and different workouts, and tweak as I go.

Last thing - remember that what you weigh is, ultimately, irrelevant. Weight is simply an easy guideline to follow for your overall health. Your body fat, blood pressure, body mass index, and actual fatness are more important. Your weight is simply a rough indicator, and should be treated as such.

So, if you're unhappy with your weight, quit fucking around, and do something about it. You're the only one who can make you less disgustingly obese.

Think about how much better the life you'll have as a muscular, sculpted bad-ass will be. Always remember that. Think about how much power you'll wield. It's enough to make me salivate in anticipation.

I'll be back next week.

-Blaine

3 comments:

  1. Blaine, I can't tell you how amazing it is to watch you on this journey. I'll resist from showering you compliments, but know that you are accomplishing an amazing feat the proves great mental fortitude. I do want to say that you need to watch out for overdoing the protein. Not going to extremes is the right way to eat, but by cranking up the protein with shakes and bars you can cause more harm than good. This can include dehydration, kidney problems, weight gain, intestinal problems and by focusing so much on protein you risk not getting enough of the rest of the nutrients you need. I don't know everything about your diet so I'm not about to tell you what and how to change it, but you might want to take a look at your protein intake balances with the rest of your diet. If you aren't lifting like mad or are constantly working the muscles so they require all that protein to rebuild, you could run into some problems. Keep on rocking the weight loss man. You're doing great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Completely agree. Obviously there is no quick way to our weight loss / fitness goals and your approach is exactly the one to take. Being dynamic is key. We are in a constant state of change so your diet should be as well. When I take on a training/diet regimen that some might view as extreme it's not like I just jumped in and and cranked it from 2 to 11! It has taken months to get to that point. I slowly amp up my training and adjust my diet along with that. Depending on what I am training for I usually change the intensity every 2 - 3 weeks. I allow myself to still enjoy food but I will limit the fun. Two things are crucial - Letting everyone in your household/life know what you are doing in regards to your diet and goals and... Writing everything down..Letting your coworkers know avoids possible morning pastries or crazy lunches.. In my experience most coworkers could give a shit and almost seem to amp up the shit food when they find out.. dicks.. but with the family it's important to let the in-laws and wife know so you are not always eating pizza... but even then it can be difficult. But just announcing that you are attempting to make a few diet changes gives you an out and will help with pressure to succumb to a buffalo wild wings chicken wrap..



    Keeping track of your intake is probably the most important thing. People do not realize how crucial that is. Not writing down your calorie intake is the same as not keeping track of your checking account. Sure you may be able to manage it for a few days maybe even a week or so. But you'll blow it sooner than later mainly because it is not on the top of your mind..

    I also attempt to surround myself with propagandae3w.. Like magazines (Men's Health) and hang with people in similar situations.



    Congrats on your progress. I know the work you are putting in and it is tough. And tough work builds a tough motherfucker! Keep it up ya. I'm with ya!

    -Zuma

    ReplyDelete